We’re looking for UX/XD/CX (basically all the Xs).
Lumen is a young, rapidly growing company looking for a designer to create delightful experiences in our products and across interactions with the company. You’ll play a key part in elevating design in the Lumen culture.
Lumen is doing something that has not been done before. We’re using technology, data-driven learning design, and openly licensed content to enable unprecedented learning results and opportunities for all students, regardless of economic background. Ever buy a college textbook? We think that hundreds of dollars is too much for a college textbook. For many people, the cost is an impassible barrier. We eliminate the need for expensive textbooks with a rich online learning experience that costs twenty-five bucks or less. This Fall so far we’ve saved students almost eight million dollars so far—we have our sights set on one billion.
Every day our work requires creativity, discipline, teamwork and immense flexibility. Check out our company values. If you’re a fit, and you want to work on something really important with other amazing people who exemplify those values, get in touch.
We offer a great benefits package including flexible time off, work autonomy, 401k matching, great health benefits with fully paid premium for employees. Oh, and a fun office environment in Portland’s Pearl district with plenty of nourishment for the mind & body.
We are proudly based in Portland, Oregon and this position will work from the Portland office.
Your mission in this role is to design interactions with Lumen that are absolutely delightful, effective, and as simple as possible… but no simpler :-).
You’ll work closely with customers, product managers, and the development team across our software platforms, courses, and other services. You’ll really get to know our customers and internal users of the Lumen platform so that you can design to delight them and so that you can’t help but advocate fiercely for them. You’ll help establish Lumen’s visual design, design practices, and a design mindset and culture at Lumen.
Because we treat everyone like a professional, we’re also choosy about finding people who can work without a lot of direction.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Building strong relationships with customers to develop a deep understanding of their needs, hopes, dreams, and pains in the butt
- Advocating passionately for user priorities during product development
- Helping establish our visual design and UX research processes
- Creating wireframes, models, prototypes and graphic assets
- Creating elegant and beautiful UI
- Creating amazing user experiences which intuitively solve real problems
We’re all about designing the entire experience for our customers and employees, so there’s a LOT to do here. And that means EVERY touchpoint. We even need to design how we answer the phone or how we approach people at trade shows. We need versatile, passionate designers. If these things describe you, then you should absolutely apply for this job:
- You have at least 5+ years experience as a UX/UI designer on either consumer or business apps
- You’re a curious, resourceful, optimistic problem solver
- You want everything to be amazing, not just the projects you’re assigned to
- You love designing in any medium, including apps, print, mobile, signage, t-shirts, whatever
- You don’t consider UX work done unless it’s validated with real customers
- You love learning new stuff constantly
- You’re a master collaborator. You build great relationships with your product team, engage customers, and work hand-in-hand with developers.
- You’re organized, communicative, and accountable—you own your role entirely.
- You work hard, but you also care about who you work with and how you work.
- You’ll have the opportunity to travel. It won’t be frequent but there might be a half dozen opportunities per year.
If you have some of these too we’ll be delighted
- You have experience with the Higher Education community
- You’ve shipped Software as a Service (SaaS) solutions
- You’ve run your own usability studies
- Experience with designing for print media
- Experience with inclusive design
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.